Saturday, May 10, 2014

Throwback in the kitchen

A long overdue post. Winter has set in already (can you believe it!). Hours, days and months are flying away...which is why you want to make the most out of every day (well sort of- it does not hurt to try, right). I have to agree though that it is easier to say (or think) about something than actually doing it. But....the key is not to make that a habit.
Alright enough of wise words. Not much has really happened in the kitchen this week, let's blame the change of season (or hmm ...).

Let's begin with a super easy dish: spaghetti with bolognese sauce. I actually added a healthy hint to it by adding some celery and zucchini (mmm). It was one of my best executed sauce so far. The secret is to cook the mince beef until dry (that is all the liquid/fat has been absorbed/evaporated) and then add your vegetables. I saw recipes usually mention to cook the vegetables first, but I prefer cooking the meat first.

It is winter and brocoli is in season (yaaaaaaay). Brocoli is one of my favourite veg and is so nutritious. I stir-fried some chicken breast and shiitake mushroom, then added the carrots and brocoli and covered with a lid until both are cooked.

 
I also prepared some lentil soup to accompany the dish (or just to keep warm).
 

I made oat meal for the first time ever. I have never really liked oat meal, until recently which is why I would not cook it. However I have come to appreciate it now and  it is seriouslyeasy to cook. The best thing is that you can add in your favourite toppings- I stirred in some honey, chia seeds and blueberries. Result is a simply delicious and healthy way to start the day.

Back to some less healthy dish, we had fish and chips for Saturday lunch. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I am more into grilling now. So I grilled both the chips and fish in the oven. This gives both the chips and fish a crispy finish.

 For Sunday dinner, I cooked veal steak (and I must add that the meat was ridiculously tender- now I was not expecting that but really enjoyed it, as a matter of fact), with sweet potato mash, some spinach and grape tomatoes on the side.

Well this is quite a quick wrap-up of the week...hmm at least of the dishes I cooked.
All I can wish now is for everyone to have a good weekend and keep warm.

No comments :

Post a Comment