Thursday, March 10, 2016

Birthday cake (Yellow cake with chocolate buttercream and chocolate ganache)

For my cousin's birthday, I was inspired to make a cake with some decorations. This yellow cake recipe came into my inbox and I could not think of any better timing. I instantly made up my mind. The cake is just what I needed to cater for my cake decoration idea. My cousin loves nature, plants and animals, but to make it easy, I decided to go for a 'tree ring' for a close to nature feel. 

I used the same recipe for the cake. However I used a chocolate buttercream to fill and cover the cake. I made a chocolate ganache to frost the surrounding. I also made some pattern so it will look like a section of a tree trunk. To top it off, I made some 'mushrooms' using free forms macarons and a thicker ganache to make the stems. The cake turned out just the way I wanted. I originally planned to make some royal icing flower decorations, but then I did not want to lose the 'forest' feeling. Sometimes less is more. 

I was also extremely pleased with my macarons which I filled with more chocolate ganache- honestly the best I ate. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the freshness. After one night in the fridge to allow the flavour to mature and moisture to soften the cookie, it is the best time to eat it. 

The cake itself was quite nice. I think it went well with the chocolate. I am looking forward to make some bunny macarons for Easter. 










 

No comments :

Post a Comment