Monday, March 28, 2016

Lemon curd mini tart (Recipe)

After trying the lemon meringue pie from the Dessert Garden at the Twilight Hawkers Market, I was so keen to try making my own. I did a lemon curd version without the meringue, but I shall one day try with both. I used a shortcrust pastry for my tart cases. To stay true to my cookbook challenge, I carefully chose the lemon curd recipe from 'My Little Mini Cakes & Treats Book' which contains all the desserts that anyone would loved to eat. It is a tiny book with so many gorgeous photos and recipes. Don't we all like recipes that come with photos. I think it is what draws people to try a recipe in the first place- at least it works for me. The lemon curd tart is made up of simple ingredients- butter, lemon, sugar, flour, egg yolks- but is so delectable. It goes to showcase the use of these few ingredients at their best.


Recipe for lemon curd mini tart 

Makes: 10 mini tart approx.

Ingredients for the tart base:
130g AP flour

65g butter
A few drops of cold water

Method:
1. Prepare the tart base by mixing butter and flour, until resemble crumbs. 
2. Add water little by little until it forms a dough.
3. Cover with cling film and put in the fridge to rest for at least 1/2 hour.
4. Preheat oven to 180C.
5. Roll out dough from the fridge into your tart mould (I used a mini muffin pan) and prick with a fork. 
6. Bake for about 15 minutes at 180C 

Ingredients for lemon curd (Adapted from My Little Mini Cakes & Treats Book)
2 lg egg yolks
55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
1/2 tbs lemon zest, grated
2 1/2 tbs lemon juice
100g unsalted butter. cubed

Method:
1. Beat egg yolk and sugar in a heatproof bowl.
2. Add zest, juice and place bowl over a bain marie (saucepan with simmering water)
3. Stir in butter and let the sauce thicken for about 10 minutes (it will be thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon).
4. Place in a bowl and cover surface with cling film.
5. Let cool completely.

To assemble:
1. Place lemon curd in a piping bag.
2. Pipe into the tart cases.
3. Decorate with some berries or tiny macaron.
4. Serve and enjoy.




Tasting platter from the Dessert Garden (from top left clockwise):
Raspberry tart, Nutty tart, Lemon meringue tart and Fudgy tart. 
They were all yummy, but my favourite was by far the lemon meringue tart, with the crisp meringue.



No comments :

Post a Comment