Thursday, March 3, 2016

Poached eggs

This week has been very busy and filled with challenges. I think I am outdoing myself. Some days are very dynamic and other very slow. I guess we cannot wish too much and only enjoy the process. I realise that it's not productive to overthink before actioning something because thinking is a waste of energy. Everything always look harder before you actually do it. Most of the time overcoming these barriers can prove to be extremely rewarding and satisfying. 

This week has been all about poached eggs (well, mostly). I can proudly say that I am on the right track on poached eggs. My first attempt at home was quite disastrous, but I reckon it was because the egg was not fresh. 

For perfect poached eggs you need fresh eggs (the egg yolk should form a nice dome) and some acid (vinegar of about 5% of the water) in the water so that the egg whites can coagulate more easily with the yolk. You also need boiling water before putting the egg in. After the water is boiled, stir the water into a whirlpool with a spoon and drop your egg (cracked in a small container). Reduce the heat to a simmer and stir a little bit more. The rest is a question of timing. I am confident enough to make poached eggs now and it is truly a delicacy to have some topped on some fresh toast. Yum.

Here is an array of attempts: 

5 min and 3 min poached eggs
5 min poached egg served with all of my favourite ingredients- avo, figs and sweet potato

3 min poached egg served on toast with some avo, cherry tomato and spinach and cheese

3 minute egg served on bread roll and some quinoa

5 minute egg on toaste and served with avo, cherry tomato and cheese











No comments :

Post a Comment