Friday, March 25, 2016

Hot Cross Scrolls

I found out that traditionally, hot cross buns are meant to be eaten on Good Friday and only on this day. The cross sign on the buns is to remind of Jesus on the cross. Indeed, this is the symbolism of the cross. It is widely commercial nowadays- I mean it's been on sale for what seems like forever now. It is hardly a tradition unless you find yourself waiting impatiently for Good Friday to eat them. It is a tough one. I tried the chocolate and the choc-orange ones from Coles and they were quite nice, if not a little bit too doughy to my liking. The traditional ones are made with mixed spices, but now there are different flavours to choose from. 


Well, this year I decided to make cross buns. I mean you only get the chance once a year, better use it. I tried once and it was a semi-success. I decided to make them into scrolls to differentiate from the usual square ones after stumbling across the below recipe in this week's Woolworths' catalogue. Good timing. I managed to wake up at 5.30.a.m in the morning to get started. Scrolls were ready at 7.30. I was quite happy with the result. I did not have all ingredients on hand, of course, referring to the currants and mixed peel, but I assumed it should be fine without. I also did a flour-water cross instead of the icing. I think it still looked good. The scrolls were nice. The dough itself is not sweet, but once combined with the raisins, it is well-balanced in terms of flavour. 


Time to show the steps by steps of turning the dough into scrolls. 












No comments :

Post a Comment