Monday, January 18, 2016

Red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting from Miss Maud

I finally tried my first real velvet cake and I really enjoyed it. I now fully understand the hype around the name. The cake is chocolaty but not quite a chocolate cake, and the cream cheese frosting marries extremely well with the cake. The tanginess and creaminess of the cream cheese pairs perfectly with the sweet cake. The cocoa powder adds just that little hint of bitterness, which makes the whole cake so tasty in the mouth.

What I read about the origin of the name  (red velvet) is that when the cocoa powder used in the batter reacted with the baking powder, it would naturally turn the cake red. This is why it was cake was called red velvet. However, all the recipes I have come across so far do require red food colouring. This is most probably to ensure a red cake. I will hopefully, by end of this month, recreate a red velvet cookie. I cannot wait. In the meantime, if you can get hold of a slice of the cake, please do enjoy it for me.






No comments :

Post a Comment