Sunday, December 20, 2015

Sushi Time (with quinoa rice recipe)

Five days till Christmas. It's been quite cool since the beginning of summer, but it is getting warmer now. After a while of not making sushi, I finally decided to make my own version with quinoa. This is so fresh and crunchy. Sushi is not difficult to make and you only need few ingredients, so why not give it a try if you have got the time. I made this one using part quinoa for the rice filling. It think it was quite nice. Quinoa brings some crunchiness to the rice and obviously makes it 'super', with the super foods' trend going on.

To make the quinoa rice, I firstly cooked 1/4 cup of red quinoa, and then mix with 1 tbs of rice wine vinegar. Then, I cooked 1 cup of sushi rice. I mixed 3 tbs of rice wine vinegar with 1 tbs of sugar and 1tsp of salt which I then poured onto the cooked rice. Finally mix the quinoa and rice together until combined.

Recipe for Quinoa rice (for 3 rolls)

Ingredients:
1/4 cup of red quinoa
1 cup of sushi rice
4 tbs of rice wine vinegar
1 tbs sugar
1 tsp salt

Method:
1. Cook the quinoa on stove per instructions with approximately 3/4 cup of water.
2. Once cooked mix with 1 tbs of vinegar, and let to cool.
3. Cook the sushi rice as per instructions per absorption method or rice cooker (it is normally a 1 cup rice to 1 1/2 cup of water).
4. Combine 3 tbs of vinegar, sugar and salt until dissolved.
5. Pour onto the cooked rice.
6. Mix the quinoa and rice together. Let cool down before using to make your sushi.

Now all you are left with is to prep your favourite filling and your sushi will be ready in no time.






I had some leftover rice, so I decided to make try some 'nigiri' as well.






No comments :

Post a Comment