Monday, July 29, 2013

Pumpkin gratin (recipe)

I did not have the opportunity to upload my recent pictures, so I will post up a few pictures that have been sitting on my desktop, waiting to be posted. This is the pumpkin gratin that  I made two weeks ago- throwback Saturday. Anyway, this time it was creamy and not chunky, like last time yes. See I told you that you always learn from your errors. Now my first mistake was that the pumpkin was chopped too thick. Result is that it takes longer to cook. Second mistake is that I should not have cook it in a heavy pan, rather in a pressure cooker. Well a note to myself next time though is that pumpkin do not need lot of water to go with in the pressure cooker.

Alright so this recipe is pretty simple. All you have to do is chop you pumpkin (I used butternut one) into 1cm cube (see first picture below). Put in your pressure cooker with less than a cup of water. Add salt and pepper and herbs if you want. In the meantime, cook garlic and onion until it changes colour. Wait for the 3rd blow to turn off the pressure cooker. Let the air out and take out the inside. If the pumpkin is still in pieces. mash them. Add the pan with the onion and garlic. Add cream (as required). Salt and pepper to season and more herb. Then put your mixture in an oven proof dish. Top with cheese and breadcrumb. Finish off with cooking spray on top or butter. Put in the oven 180 degrees for about 15-20 minutes until golden.

 

Ingredients:

1kg pumpkin (I used butternut)
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic
Herbs (any you prefer/ have on hand)
3-4 tbs heavy cream  
Grated cheese (cheddar/ parmesan/ any)
Breadcrumbs

Olive oil
Cooking spray
Salt and pepper, to taste
Butter (optional)

No comments :

Post a Comment